THE LATEST FROM THREE FARMERS
Recipe compliments of Three Farmers dietitian Heather Deck, RD.
By making your own dressing, you can control the amount of salt being added. Try cooking with different low sodium or no-salt added ingredients such as a No Salt Added Chicken Broth to reduce the amount of sodium in a recipe. You can always go back and add some salt however, you can not remove salt once it has been added. The addition of spinach in this Greek salad bowl will provide extra fibre to help keep you fuller for longer. The use of Three Farmers Original Camelina Oil in the Greek salad dressing will provide a serving of polyunsaturated fats. Replacing saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats from vegetable oils helps lower cholesterol, a factor in improving heart health.
Salad Bowl Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups No Salt Added Chicken Broth
- 1 Can Green Lentils, Drained and Rinsed
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Black Olives, Pitted and Sliced
- ½ English Cucumber
- ¼ Cup Feta Cheese, Crumbled
- ½ Cup Three Farmers Original Camelina Oil
- ¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Mined
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pour the chicken broth and quinoa into a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and allow the quinoa to simmer until all the broth has been absorbed.
- In a small bowl, combine the Three Farmers Original Camelina Oil with all the other dressing ingredients. Combine with a whisk until fully incorporated and set aside.
- Prepare the salad by chopping the bell pepper, tomatoes and cucumber into uniform sizes and add to a large bowl.
- Add the sliced black olives and crumbled feta to the bowl with the other vegetables and toss gently.
- Once the broth has been fully absorbed by the quinoa, open the can of green lentils, rinse, and place in the sauce pan with the quinoa with the lid on to heat up.
- Place a ¼ of the quinoa and lentil mixture into a serving bowl, followed by the salad and top it off with the Three Farmers Original Camelina Oil Greek dressing.
Optional: Top off your Greek Salad Bowl with some store bought or homemade Greek yogurt tzatziki sauce to add a creamy element.