THE LATEST FROM THREE FARMERS
Shake up your breakfast routine with this hearty, protein dense recipe from our very own Three Farmers in-house dietitian Heather Deck PDt(c).
- 1 Cup Steele Cut Oats
- 1 Cup Split Red Lentils
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 ½ Cups of your choice of milk or milk beverage
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place oats, lentils and water in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and stir until combined.
- Let the mixture reach a rolling boil and reduce to a simmer while stirring to ensure the mixture doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the milk and cinnamon to the pan once the water has been reduced. I used coconut milk to add extra flavor to my finished product.
- Continue simmering until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve and top with your favourite mix-ins. I used 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp whole flax seeds, ¼ Three Farmers Maple Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas and half of a banana.
Adding lentils into your oatmeal is one simple way to increase the nutritional density of your breakfast. By incorporating lentils into your oatmeal, you are creating a complete source of protein, increasing the overall fibre content and increasing the overall iron content of your breakfast cereal.